Τρίτη 30 Οκτωβρίου 2012

Body and Skull

The Relationship between body and mind through the concept of mortality.Inspired by Vanitas (= art movement that begun in the Netherlands between the 16th and 17th century.A human skull is placed in random still life objects.It represents decay,mortality combined with stillness. Stillness is our illusion, decay is our reality). I am interested in the theme of mortality not because it is dark,but because it always reminds me of how blessed I am for being born. When I focus on this theme, it reminds me of how hard I should work for my life to become meaningful,to be thankful that I am in good health.It reminds me of the beloved people that I lost in my life,and that with this gift also comes an end. The only thing that is certain is that we die.You can see it as a curse,or as a damned motive to add value to your life.And that is your only choice that makes a difference.
Our perception of life is that it is still,certain, the world turns around us.We are programmed to feel this way,in order to function and not become depressed by the disappointing ending. We cannot hang on to this end and embrace it when we are still young and beautiful.

A room, close quarters and closed eyes.
Death, the big pink elephant in the room of life.